Thursday, November 09, 2006

Happy Friendship Day!! - Aug 8th 2006

Happy Friendship Day, Folks……….

I know this comes 2 days late. But like they say – Better late than never J.

Last weekend I had been to one of my relatives house. I just love the way their house has been built with ample space both in the front and the back of their house, with so many trees. They have a banana tree in their backyard and when I had been to their house last weekend the banana tree had this huge bunch of bananas on it. Wow!! There would have been more than a 100 bananas in that bunch. The bunch was so heavy that the tree was bending under the load. What had to be done was – a strong stick had to be tied to give support to the tree and thereby help in carrying that load. If not for that stick the tree would probably bend so much that the branch carrying the bunch of bananas would break under the load. If not for that stick we would probably not have delicious bananas to eat. J

Probably that stick seemed so insignificant but the banana tree could not bear fruit without it. In my life, so any times there have been friends who have served as a supporting stick. Probably something they said or something they did (insignificant though it seemed) has encouraged me so much and made me go on and go forth and bear fruits for God. Probably the world would have noticed the stick at the sight of the fruit. But God above sees the stick and values it.

Its really nice to have friends who sit around and chat and joke with us and go out with us for dinner and parties. Its wonderful to have someone to talk for hours with and share every secret. But its more wonderful to have someone who supports me during the tough time. Some who can pick me up and encourage me and stand by me, pray with me and help me bear fruits for God. Paul says in one of his letters to always encourage one another in the Lord. It may be a small word of hope, a small act of love, a small deed done in kindness……… which may seem insignificant to us…… but would help the person stand tall and strong and bear fruits for God.

One of my friends sent me this sms - ‘when you are in trouble and I find myself in a place where I can’t do anything for you, I will pray for you’. I have decided this friendship day that I am going to start praying for my friends. During the travel to office, during the time we cook, when standing in the queue to get my lunch……….. even while brushing, instead of keeping my mind blank I could pick out a friend and just prasy for them. It may be for a couple of minutes or maybe even for just 30 seconds but (insignificant though it may seem to you) it will serve as a supporting stick for someone to stay tall and stay strong and bear fruits for God.

When we start praying for each other we are united as a big family of God. And when we are united, it’s the beginning of a revival. See where a small act leads to……. J

Jesus himself neededfriends who prayed for him, and called 3 of them with him to Gethsemane. How much more we!! The best thing we can do for a friend is to pray for them. Pray for me and I will pray for you.

There’s this song by Point of Grace tht I really love. It goes this way –

We were made to love and be lovedBut the price this world demands will cost you far too muchI spent so many years just trying to fit inNow Ive found a place in this circle of friendsIn a circle of friends we have one fatherIn a circle of friends we share this prayerThat every orphaned soul will knowAnd all will enter inTo the shelter of this circle of friendsIf you weep, I will weep with youIf you sing for joy the rest of us will lift our voices tooBut no matter what you feel inside theres no need to pretendThats the way it is in this circle of friendsIn a circle of friendsWe have one fatherIn a circle of friends we share this prayerThat well gather together no matter how the highway bendsI will not lose this circle of friendsAmong the nations, tribes and tongues we have sisters and brothersAnd when we meet in heaven we will recognize each otherWith joy so deep and love so sweetOh well celebrate these friendsAnd a life that never endsIn a prayerThat will not be long beforeAll will enter inTo the shelter of this circle of friendsThat it will not be long beforeAll will enter inTo the shelter of this circle of friends



Proverbs 18:24 - there is [Prov 17:17; John 15:14, 15] a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment