Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Mint Story

Last week we had been to this place for berry picking and when we got to the counter to get the berries billed, we found some mint leaves there. This mint leaves were a little unusual to the regular mint leaves (the leaves were bigger and the stem thicker too) that we get at the store, so we decided to buy a bunch. They were real fresh and nice and the lady at the counter wrapped them up in a paper and gave them to us.

When we got home late evening, we were surprised to see that the bunch was actually a little droopy. My husband, the clever guy J, took a glass of water and put the end of the bunch, dipping into the water. When I woke up the next morning, the bunch was fresh again and standing straight. I called out to my husband to have a look. And I used it to make some awesome biryani!! J


God taught me how similar this was to, how my life was. The water was God’s word and God’s presence in my life. Without it, I would be droopy and how when I drank from His word and His presence, I would be refreshed and stand tall and strong and be fresh too.

I remember a few weeks ago, something happened that kind of broke me up a bit. I was crying a lot and was pretty upset. In short, I was droopy. I was trying to read the bible and pray and worship but it was all a bit hard for me. I remember we had this Bible Study at our home one day and we had a beautiful discussion on prayer that day. That one hour that we spent discussing from God’s word and learning from it and sharing experiences, was like water to my thirsty being. I was completely refreshed. There were so many things shared that was just what my heart and mind needed to hear. No one in the Bible Study group knew what I was going through. I remember one beautiful lady who is also a friend sharing – ‘Stop having a pity party for yourself, get up and start praying. Stop thinking about yourself and start praying for the people around you. There’s so much prayer needed’. Things like this and so much more put things in perspective for me. Thank God for God Given friends and fellowship.

That’s why it’s always good to have a good fellowship too. To find a church to go to and be a part of a fellowship. In times when you find hard to pray, they will lift you up and you can do the same for them.

So back to the mint story, I, like the bunch of mint leaves, was refreshed and I could see that I was standing tall and straight. Connecting with God and His word has that effect on us. When we are droopy we can’t handle much and the little we can handle, won’t be very effective. But when we stand tall and are connected to God, we face things with God’s help and will be very victorious. We can do all things through Christ who STRENGTHENS us.

So if you are droopy, dip into the well of His Word and His Presence and you will be refreshed and victorious!!!

Jeremiah 17:8 - For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters that spreads out its roots by the river; and it shall not see and fear when heat comes; but its leaf shall be green. It shall not be anxious and full of care in the year of drought, nor shall it cease yielding fruit.

Matthew 11: 28 - Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.] 

Psalm 1: 3 - He is like a tree   planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season,  and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.

Philippians 4: 13 - I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me.


No comments:

Post a Comment