Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Little Giver


One of the supermarkets here had an offer, where for every 15 euros you spent you would get a small packet of Legos. The interesting thing about the Legos that was in this offer was that they could be used to make a small replica of your own supermarket.

 Our little girl loves Legos. And she’s very creative with them. So when we saw this advertisement, we started buying our groceries from this store so we could get her these Legos. It was very interesting to her because she has seen this supermarket and to build a miniature version of this was something that she found really interesting. So every time we went grocery shopping she would be thrilled to get these packets of Legos and open and see what pieces she had got each time.

During one such shopping trip, the lady at the counter probably noticed Gracia being a little too excited about the Legos. And so she gave us two extra packets of Legos besides what we already got for what we had spent.

There was a boy standing outside the store collecting these supermarket Legos. The people, who got these Legos and didn’t want them, were giving it to this boy. As I packed the groceries from the shopping cart into the bags, Gracia was just playing around and was interested in what the boy was doing. I explained to her that he was collecting Legos from those who didn’t want it. I am not entirely sure about what I actually explained because I was distracted unloading the shopping cart into the bags.

When we walked out of the store, Gracia gave away two of her unopened Lego packets. I know how much she likes those Legos. Legos, in itself, are special to her and this supermarket Legos are even more special. It really touched my heart and made me super proud that she would do that. Even the boy hesitated, wondering if he should get the Legos, as he was getting them from people who didn’t want them.

I couldn’t help but gush about it to my husband, when he came to pick us up. We were really super proud of her. I told my husband how the lady at the cash counter had given her two extra packets and how she gave the two extra that she got, away.

Can God trust you with extra??

There were so many kids at that store and Gracia was the one who got extra packets. I felt like God knew he could trust her with extra, that she wouldn’t keep it for herself but give it away. That made me reflect about what I do with my extra. If you want more, you need to give more. Can God trust you with giving you extra?? If you don’t give, you will have just enough for whatever you need. Start giving so that God can trust you with extra. And when he gives you extra, you give away your extra and more. Can God trust you with extra?

No excuses to not give !!

Her bed time story that night was about the widow who gave her two cents, which impressed Jesus. And it spoke to me as I read the story out to her. The two cents was all the widow had and she gave her ‘all’ away.
I realised there can be no excuses to not give. This widow gave all she had. If she could do that, no one could have any kind of excuse to not give.

Giving inspires

A few days later I mentioned this in Gracia’s school book. There is this book from her school to mention anything we want to celebrate in our child and they read that out in the class to encourage and celebrate that act. When I showed it to her teacher, her teacher said that the credit should go to the parents too, as she must have seen us give, to learn giving. But in all honesty, it was more true the other way round, I was inspired by her. I remember after she gave her two packets of Legos, I was reminded of some money I had been putting away to buy something and I wanted to give that away. My giving was inspired by her giving. Giving inspires.

I had pinched and saved that money but after seeing Gracia give her Legos away so easily, it somehow didn’t matter as much to me anymore. I could give away easily too. Giving inspires.

Giving gives more than it takes

A week later when we went back to the store, a lady came up to Gracia and had a little chat with her and just before leaving she gave her 6 packets of unopened Legos !! She said her kids were too old to play with them and she’d rather give it to someone who could use it. By this time, Gracia had completely forgotten how she had given her Legos away to another kid. My husband and I were so thrilled at how she got back much more than she gave. And that kind lady came back again, looking for us in that big store, to give us two more unopened packets !!

There’s something my mom always told us as kids – ‘You never lose by giving’! I’ve seen her give away from the little that she had and she always explained that by giving she never lost anything.

Now when I see my little girl play with her mini supermarket and arrange and rearrange and build her little store, I am so proud of the girl she is growing up to be. I am so proud that this little heart has already learnt to give. I am so proud of what God is doing in her and teaching her. I am so proud she’s God’s little reminder to us, to give. I am so proud she’s a little giver.


2 Corinthians 9: 6 -7 - Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Matthew 6:21 - For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Luke 16:10 - Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

Luke 6:38 - Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”



Phil 4:19 - And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment