Friday, October 30, 2015

Jesus Wept...


Ah ! To see that smiling face ! And the warmth and love with which we were welcomed into this beautiful family’s home.

It was after a day of hard work. We were hungry and tired. My friends and I didn’t have a place to go to, to rest for the evening.

So it was joy and relief to see the big smile on the lady’s face and the love with which we were welcomed to her home. Her home was beautiful. Just looking at it, you would know this was a hardworking, efficient woman, who was very well organised and diligent.

Her name was Martha. A warm beautiful girl. I could see how she hustled about fixing food, water and everything else to make sure I was comfortable and to make sure I felt at home. Every once in a while she would come and ask if we needed anything and then rush to the kitchen. I knew she was preparing a big meal. And I knew she was doing that to show how much she loved me and how much she wanted to honour me.

By the time we had come into the home and made ourselves comfortable, her sister, Mary came running in. She was genuinely happy, almost relieved to see me at her home. She was super excited to say the least.

Mary was just such a warm sweet person. She was just all heart. She came bounding towards me and made her home at my feet. She sat there and never left my side for a moment.

And we got talking and as we talked, I realised how less Mary spoke. She was eager to hear everything I had to say. She sat there, looking up at me with those beautiful eager eyes. I could see in her eyes how much she wanted to know about God and how hungry she was to learn about God. I spoke and she listened and her heart absorbed everything like a sponge. She listened continuously to all that I said.

Martha was a little upset that Mary wasn’t helping much, and I had to remind Martha how God’s word is more important than food and how Mary had chosen what was better.

Mary was happy she didn’t have to leave my side and miss out on what I had been saying. I could see the love and adoration in her eyes.

Mary was like a child. She wanted to know. She wanted to learn. She had a beautiful big heart. After trying to reason with Pharisees and undoubting people, it was a pleasure and happiness to talk to Mary.

After having our meal there and spending some time with this beautiful family, it was time to leave.


A few days later, I see someone walk towards where I was sitting. In fact everyone had noticed this person walk in, because of the strong perfume she had been carrying. It had a beautiful scent and you could know by its scent that it was expensive. This someone, was Mary. I was very happy to see Mary. She understood what I spoke. She believed what I said. She wanted to know more. She was one of those few whose heart and eyes and ears were open to the good news. Seeing someone like that always warmed my heart and seeing Mary made me really happy. It was always a welcome relief to see Mary. She understood and that made my time with her so beautiful.

She walked towards me, opened her bottle of perfume and just poured it out on me. People looked to see what she was doing. She was not one bit embarrassed. She was in fact proud of what she was doing for me. Only one thing mattered to her and that was to honour me. She then wiped my feet with her hair. It was untraditional for women to let loose their hair in public but she didn’t care. She didn’t care my feet was dusty. I knew her heart was completely devoted to me. She just sat there at my feet, not saying a word. Oh I loved her heart ! Such love and such yearning for God.

A few months later, I was sent word that Lazarus was very sick. Lazarus was the brother of Martha and Mary. I knew what my Father’s will was concerning Lazarus, so I didn’t rush to see them immediately but went a few days later.

My disciples wouldn’t let me go. It was near the end of my time on earth. It sometimes saddened me that in spite of having been with me for almost 3 years they still didn’t have complete trust in me. I was really looking forward to seeing Martha and Mary. I was going to raise Lazarus from the dead and I was so excited about it. This family deserved a miracle. Just thinking of seeing the three of them again made me happy.

When I got to Bethany, Lazarus had been dead for four days.

I could see their house from a distance and I could not wait to get there and raise Lazarus from the dead. I had to walk fast.

Even before I reached their home, I could see Martha come running toward me. She had been crying. She had tears all over her face. She barely managed – ‘Lord, had you been here, Lazarus would have been alive. ‘

I was sad to see her sad. But what grieved me more was what she said. Did she think it was too late for me? Did she think it was too late for a miracle? Did she think once a person died, they were out of my control?

I tried reasoning with her – Your brother will rise again. But she didn’t seem to understand or hear what I was saying. She was too caught up in her grief to understand.

She was one of my closest friends on Earth. Her family was very dear to me and had been a support to me. It was sad that she didn’t believe.

But surely Mary would understand. Surely Mary would believe. But where was Mary??

I thought Mary would come rushing to me but I hadn’t seen her yet.

I asked Martha – Where is Mary??

Martha went back home and told Mary that I had asked for her. It was only after that Mary came to see me.

It broke my heart to see Mary’s face as she came towards me. It was covered in tears. But surely Mary understood my ways better. She knew my heart better. Surely Mary knew better. Surely Mary believed?

She came to where I was and fell at me feet. And as I lifted her up, her voice came out in quiet sobs – Lord, if you were here, Lazarus would not have died !

Did Mary not know better? I thought Mary would know and believe it wasn’t too late for me? I thought Mary would understand and believe I had control over life and death? I thought Mary understood and trusted my power. I was saddened at the unbelief.

I couldn’t help the tears that welled up in my eyes. It broke my heart that Mary did not know too. She was someone who loved me and adored me but she didn’t believe I could bring Lazarus back from death. She thought it was over... She said ‘If only you were here…’ Tears flowed down my eyes…


Jesus Wept…

John 11: 33 – 35 When Jesus saw her sobbing and the Jews with her sobbing, a deep anger welled up within him… Jesus wept.
Hebrews 11:6 -  …without faith it is impossible to please God…

Mark 4:40 - Jesus said to them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith and confidence [in Me]?”


(P.S – In case you are wondering what happened to Lazarus?  Lazarus was raised from the dead and the sisters were very happy and they all dined together with Jesus. When Jesus prayed before raising Lazarus from the dead, he prayed that they would believe. )

No comments:

Post a Comment