Friday, July 01, 2016

Birthday Parties and a Trust lesson…



We get out of the lift and just as we are about to enter the indoor playground, the venue of my daughter’s friend’s birthday party, I hand her the gift she needs to give to her friend. She takes it from my hand and goes running towards her friend. As I watch her run, screaming and so excited, I just feel so blissful and so happy.


And as I walk behind her, I think of all the events that have led to this point. All the planning and scheduling that I have been a part of. Some that she has been aware of and some that she has no idea about. But how trusting has she been. And because I love her sooo sooo much, I wouldn’t want to break that trust and would do everything I could and the best that I could.


This reminds me of so many happy moments in my life and makes me think of the events that led me to that point. Some that maybe I am aware of, and maybe most that I am not aware of as God worked silently behind the scenes. Sometimes I have had to wait patiently. Sometimes I have kicked a tantrum. But God has always always been faithful and so trustworthy. This makes me think of things I have been waiting on God for. Do I trust Him as I wait? Do I trust him knowing He is working behind the scene?


About a month back I got her friend’s party invite, as a simple mail from her parents asking to block the date and that the formal invite card would come later. My daughter is unaware. I check the date and see if she is free and if she isn’t, see if things can be rescheduled. I know my daughter loves birthday parties and wouldn’t want to miss it. And she loves her friend too. So I RSVP the parents back and tell them we would be very happy to join and thank them for inviting us. My daughter is still unaware. I check with the parents for what gift their child would like. I check shops, online stores for something the child would love. I place the order. My daughter is not at a place where she can select something the kid likes. She usually selects something she likes thinking that would make the kid as happy as it makes her. So I take that decision for her, till she gets there.


About a week before the birthday party, my daughter receives her invite. She is excited as she opens it. She is excited as she asks ‘Mama, can we go?’ ‘Can we go, please?’ She goes running to her friend to tell her she will be there for her birthday. She is super excited. She sticks the card on her wall (a door where she sticks stuff she likes).


About two days before the party, the gifts I have ordered online arrive. I show them to her and she is excited again.  I gift wrap them. Meanwhile I check the venue, to make sure she has proper comfortable clothes to wear. Or if it’s a theme party, if she has whatever she would need.


On the morning of the party, one of the first things she remembers as soon as she wakes up, is the party. We sit together and write, draw, decorate her card. We stick them on to her gifts.
All this leads us to the point where she goes running off with the gifts in hand, screaming her friends name, so excited, so happy. As a parent, I soak in that moment. It’s a beautiful happy memory.


If as a human being I can do this, how much more will our heavenly Father who is God, do for us. Do I trust him enough for things that are unseen? Do I trust him enough to take those decisions for me, that I am not capable of taking yet? Do I trust that He will do only that which is good for me? Do I trust him to know He is able to make all things beautiful?


His love for me is sooo much bigger than anything I could ever feel or action for my daughter. I am reminded of that as I walk in to wish her friend and her friend’s parents, all the while still hearing my daughter’s happy noises in the background.



Matthew 7:11 - If you then, evil (sinful by nature) as you are, know how to give good and advantageous gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven [perfect as He is] give what is good and advantageous to those who keep on asking Him.


Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in and rely confidently on the Lord with all your heart
And do not rely on your own insight or understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment