Thursday, March 01, 2007

God's Cheerleaders - 1st Mar 2007


As the world seems to be advancing towards technology at a rapid pace, humanity seems to be loosing out. When I was at school, though there were about another 500 people around I knew almost everyone's name and not just their names but I also knew where they were from and what their parents were doing et el. Today at the office where I work, I hardly know about 10 people among whom just about 3-4 are friends. I thought probably it was just me who had become reserved and quiet. But then speaking to some of my close friends I realised this has kind of become a trend now.

I remember one of the teachings we were taught during one of the carecells from the life of Jesus. Jesus was a 'People Man'. That is, almost all the time He was surrounded by a crowd and was among people. Yes, He did have a select group of friends for Himself but He also mingled well with the crowd. He had the reputation of being followed by a crowd wherever He went. He didn't have a reputation of being aloof or being reserved or having an attitude.

I learnt from that study on the life of Jesus, that it was Christ-like to be able to mingle well with people. To be among people and to be able to spend time with and for others. There was another valuable lesson that we were taught and that was about doing good and bringing a smile on the face of others.

Sometimes we are so caught up in our own world, in our own lives that we are aware of just our own problems, our own happiness, our own needs, and everything related with 'I'. Yesterday one of my friends wanted me to come online on messenger so that she could speak to me about something. And so I logged on and when I saw her online I began sharing with her about something good that had happened with me. I just went on and on forgetting it was she who had asked me to come online to share something, and she was patiently listening and then all of a sudden said - 'listen to me'. It was that 'listen to me' that made me realise that I had gone on and on without listening to what she had to say.

This world is full of people with beautiful smile on their faces and behind their smile is a cry in their hearts saying 'listen to me'. We as Christians are called to go among the crowd. We can't afford to stand aloof and watch and pray. We have to go among the crowd. Be a People Person like Jesus. Make friends with everyone God brings our way. And listen to them. Encourage, Appreciate, Counsel. Bring a smile on their face. Be a cheerleader - Be God's Cheerleader.

The aunty at the carecell was sharing how she would try to bring a smile on her colleague's faces. When she saw someone sad, she said she tried telling them something funny so that they would laugh. How many of us even know our colleague's names?

The world has enough sadness and badness of its own. We don't need to add to it by doing any sad or bad. As Christians we are called to make a difference. As people who know and love Jesus we are called to turn the world upside down -to turn the bad to good. Jesus said when someone does bad, we should not seek revenge but forgive, forget and it does not get over with that. Jesus also said to go back to the same person and do good to that person. That does sound very unfair doesn't it. I tell my mom sometimes - Jesus always takes the side of those who do wrong to me. Unfair though it may seem, this is what God wants his children to do. And if we love him, this is what we would do.

While travelling, make friends with the person near you. At office, its your colleagues. At home, its your family, your neighbours (even the nosy and irritating ones - they are the ones who need your love more). Everywhere you go, there is no shortage of people in need of love, in need of a smile on their face, in need of someone to listen to. Let's be God's cheerleaders cheering up people we meet. People love it when complimented (not flattered), appreciated and encouraged. Lets do that.

As God's cheerleaders we are called to make friends with everyone, mingle with everyone, bring a smile on every face, wipe their tears, encourage everyone, listen to them (hardest part)....... in short - showing love and cheering them up. Lets fill our part of the world with as much laughter as we can. We are where we are because God has put us here. Every second, the place that we are in at that time is because God has put us there with a definite purpose. Lets resolve to fill our part of the world with as much laughter as we can. This calls for sacrifice and lots of love. But this would win souls for God.

Let's be cheerleaders wherever we are - God's cheerleaders........


Ecclesiastes 3:12 - I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live.


Job 16:5 - But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.

Romans 1:12 - that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.

1 Thessalonians 5:11 - Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

Romans 12: 9 - 21 - [Let your] love be sincere (a real thing); hate what is evil [loathe all ungodliness, turn in horror from wickedness], but hold fast to that which is good. Love one another with brotherly affection [as members of one family], giving precedence and showing honor to one another. Never lag in zeal and in earnest endeavor; be aglow and burning with the Spirit, serving the Lord. Rejoice and exult in hope; be steadfast and patient in suffering and tribulation; be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of God's people [sharing in the necessities of the saints]; pursue the practice of hospitality. Bless those who persecute you [who are cruel in their attitude toward you]; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice [sharing others' joy], and weep with those who weep [sharing others' grief]. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits. Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is honest and proper and noble [aiming to be above reproach] in the sight of everyone. If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for [God's] wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord. But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head. Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil
with good.

No comments:

Post a Comment