Wednesday, January 17, 2007

For the Least of these Brothers - 17th Jan 2007

I've always known my Mom to be a very generous person. She just gives and gives and keeps giving. But I didn't know the extent of her generosity till this Christmas vacation when I was at home.

During Christmas its very very cold in Bihar. During the mornings there is this biting cold wind that blows which makes things even worse. During one such cold morning a poor old lady was going around selling vegetables. When she came to her house, I was the one who opened the door. I politely told her we didn't need any vegetables and was just going to send her away when Mom heard the old lady's voice and asked her to come in. I was wondering why Mom was asking this old lady in. I thought probably she needed some vegetables and didn't want to go out because of the cold and so was asking the old lady in.

Mom called the lady in and pulled in her huge basket of vegetables in as well and then closed the door. She asked her to sit and was asking her why she was out in such cold. It was almost like she was talking to someone very close to her and reprimanding them for being out in the cold. She asked her to sit while she made a hot cup of tea for her. My brother and I were at home. And we just sat there looking at each other and wondering what was going on. We had been in hostels all our lives and though we knew Mom to be very generous, this was something new we were witnessing.

Mom got the lady a hot cup of tea and then got her a big piece of cake to eat and then sat talking with her for awhile and then went back to the kitchen to continue her cooking. My brother and I sat there along with the lady, and then the lady began talking with us. She said that she had never met anyone like Mom. She said that everytime she came by Mom would give her something according to her need. Mom had once given her a woollen sweater and would everytime ask her in and give her something to eat or drink.

I remember that feeling of immense pride and love as I sat there hearing and watching that old lady talk about my Mom. There was love and pride in her voice as well. She wasn't talking about some lady who gave her food. She was talking about someone who loved and cared for her. That day was the day I learnt the biggest lesson on giving. I'm sure my brother felt the same. We sat talking about Mom after the old lady left and I know he decided, just as I had decided, that we were going to be as generous as Mom.

I've always found beggars very irritating, when they follow me on the road and keep coming by. There are times I purposely don't give to them telling myself that I didn't want to encourage people begging. There are times I've advised Mom as well, giving her the same lecture about encouraging beggars. Mom always says - You never lose my giving.

As a result of my Mom's giving, there are many poor people who come home expecting something. She never gets irritated or angry with them. She says - They come here because they know here is a family who gives and what better way for a Christian family to be projected.

I remember when I was a kid we were standing in a queue to buy some medicines and there was an old man infront of us who didn't have enough money to buy the medicine. Mom didn't think twice. She just walked up and gave what was needed. We would never meet the old man again. He would never forget the lady behind him in the queue.

I've heard many preachers preach about giving and read and heard many sermons on giving but the biggest lessons I have learnt about giving are from watching Mom.

I'm sure this is what Jesus meant when he said - Whatever you do unto one of these you do it unto me.




Matthew 25 : 34 - 40 - "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment